Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tire tube helmet bands

So incase you havent noticed, Im the kind of guy who likes to make things myself. Not sure if I get it from my upbringing or the fact that im on a firemans salary and cant always afford to buy commercially made items, and I dont really see the sense in buying something I can make myself. The latest thing i've made around the house is a few helmet bands made from the tube of a tractor trailer tire. I figured i would include a few pictures of the process so you can give it a shot yourself. Or message me and ill mail you one of these.

First youll need to find a tube from a tractor trailer tire...Good luck. I asked around a few shops until I found someone who actually had one in their garage. But still any shop that does these tire changes is bound to have one or two blown tubes laying around. 

 The second thing youll need is a solid pair of scissors, I used a pair of North American Rescue trauma shears. In my opinion these are the best shears out there. Buy your own pair here.
 Find a ruler and mark out your lines at the desired width. Making sure to line up one end even. If you try and cut with the curve youll end up with something you dont want...trust me.  
You lose alot of material this way but you get a straight cut.
 You can only make a few at a time before your hand cramps up. But with a little help and some ingenuity you can make enough bands for your firehouse and then some. 
Not to mention, they kind of have a cool design to them...

No comments:

Post a Comment